Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Crowborough Athletic 3 v 0 Ringmer 

Tuesday 27th August 2013
Sussex County League Division One
Alderbrook Recreation Ground, Crowborough
Admission including Programme: £6.00
Attendance: 121
Match Rating: 3

Exactly a week after a tense, action packed, nerve wracking and ultimately heartbreaking (from a Crowborough point of view) FA Cup game, I made a return visit this evening for a probably more mundane league fixture against local rivals Ringmer. Originally planned to be a bank holiday fixture, this game was moved back a day.

Crowborough certainly did not suffer any hangover from their FA Cup extra time defeat, winning 1-6 at previously unbeaten Lancing on Saturday, after falling behind and saving a penalty before they scored.  It would surely be a blow that Saturday's hat-trick hero Sam Carrington would be unavailable this evening. Ringmer lost their opening two games - interestingly the first one away to Lancing - and were then knocked out of the FA Cup by Greenwich Borough after a replay, but then won 4-1 at home to Chichester City on Saturday.

On another warm evening with clear skies, this was a game that was a midfield battle for the most part, particularly in the first half. Crowborough took thelead on 9 minutes, when a lovely looped ball down the right wing was eventually crossed low into the box and although the first Crowborough player could not get a meaningful touch to the ball, Callum Ridley tapped in at the far post. There was not much goalmouth action for much of the first half, although Ringmer were unfortunate not to be back on level terms just after the half hour mark. First a powerful shot was remarkably saved at point blank range by the Crowborough Nick Collick, and shortly afterwards a free kick hit the crossbar.

The second half started much in the same vein as the first half - competitive, but with few clear cut scoring opportunities. On 79 minutes, Crowborough were awarded a penalty when Wayne Clarke had his ankle tapped by a defender as he drove into the box. Clarke himself struck the penalty into the top right hand corner, despite the keeper getting fingertips to the ball. And after Ringmer were denied by another wonderful point blank save by Col lick as the game entered stoppage time, Crowborough went up the other end and some poor defending allowed Elliott Ward to take the ball towards one on one with the keeper. Ward knocked the ball to one side and floated the ball into the net from outside the penalty area and from a slight angle. So a convincing looking victory for Crowborough, for a win they deserved although a three goal victory was somewhat flattering.

No comments: